Are you looking for an exciting and challenging way to exercise your mind and body? Parkour is the newest trend in fitness. Parkour is a discipline that involves running and jumping, climbing and rolling over obstacles in an efficient and fluid way. It is a great workout that improves speed, agility, balance and coordination as well as creativity.
Parkour is a popular activity that you should try if you want to be a part of a high-quality, specialized gym. There are many excellent options in Atlanta. Parkour will be easy to master with their expert instruction, state-of the-art facilities and supportive community.
What is Parkour?
Before we get into the details of Atlanta’s parkour gyms, let’s review the basics. Parkour was developed in France in the 1990s. Parkour was originally created to help soldiers navigate urban environments efficiently and quickly. However, it soon became a sport and performance art. Parkour is a combination of your body and the environment to navigate obstacles in a fluid and smooth manner. Parkour practitioners (also known as traceurs) use many techniques to move around their environment.
- Running: Parkour involves running a lot, often at high speeds.
- Vaulting: Traceurs use vaults, such as a lazy vault, side vault, Kong vault, or Kong vault, to overcome obstacles quickly and efficiently.
- Parkour involves climbing walls both indoors as well as outdoors.
- Balance: Traceurs must have a good balance to be able to move across narrow surfaces like beams or rails.
- Rolling: Parkour practitioners often use rolling techniques, such as a safety roll or dive roll, to safely land from jumps.
Parkour is a full body workout that requires strength, stamina and agility. Parkour is also a mental exercise. Practitioners must be creative and adaptive to navigate their environment. Parkour can be done in any environment, including urban areas and natural settings. Parkour is a great way of exploring your surroundings in a fresh and exciting way.
What to look for in a Parkour Gym
You should find a gym that offers the right instruction and equipment if you are interested in learning parkour. Here are some things to consider when choosing a parkour club:
- Qualified instructors: Make sure you find a gym with certified and experienced parkour instructors. They should be able teach you proper techniques and safety precautions.
- High-quality equipment: To keep you safe during practice, make sure your gym has quality equipment such as mats and crash pads.
- Variety of courses: Make sure you find a gym that offers many different courses and obstacles. This will keep your workouts interesting and challenging.
- Supportive community: A great parkour gym should include a supportive, inclusive community of other practitioners. This can motivate you and give you a social outlet.
Parkour: Why not?
Why should you try parkour? Here are some of the many benefits of this fun discipline:
- Parkour is a full-body workout. It engages all parts of your body, from your legs to the core to your arms. Every workout will build strength, stamina and agility.
- Parkour improves balance and coordination. This can be transferred to other areas of your life, such as dance or sports.
- Parkour is a mental challenge. It requires you to be creative, adaptive, and it can be mentally stimulating.
- Confidence building: Parkour will help you overcome more difficult obstacles and give you a sense accomplishment and confidence.
- Parkour is social and fun: You can practice with your friends or even compete in events.
Best Parkour Gyms Atlanta
Let’s take a closer look to some of the best parkour gyms in Atlanta. Now that you are familiar with what to look for and why you should do it, let us take a closer look at these top parksour gyms. These are our top picks for the best parksour gyms in Atlanta:
PK Move Parkour Gym
PK Move Parkour Gym can be found in the heart Atlanta and offers a variety classes for all ages. The gym is home to a supportive community as well as trained instructors who are committed to safety and technique. PK Move offers a variety obstacles and courses, including foam pits or warped walls. The gym offers classes in acrobatics and tricking.
Another great option is Ascension Parkour in Atlanta. The gym offers both one-on-one and group training for all ages. The gym features a large open area with many obstacles and courses, including one for ninja warriors. Ascension also offers classes for mobility, strength training, and acrobatics.
Atlanta Gymnastics Center
Atlanta Gymnastics Center is not a gym that specializes in parkour, but it does offer a variety classes and equipment for those who are interested. The gym features a trampoline and foam pit area as well as a variety gymnastics equipment. Atlanta Gymnastics Center’s coaches are highly qualified and can teach parkour techniques.
Team Flare Academy
Team Flare Academy offers freerunning and parkour instruction for all levels. The gym features a variety obstacles and courses as well as a foam pit, and a spring floor. Team Flare instructors are committed to safety and technique and can provide training in tricking or tumbling.
Freerunner’s Playground offers both open gym time and classes for all levels of skill. The gym is large and open with many obstacles and courses. Freerunner’s Playground coaches are highly qualified and can teach you the correct techniques for parkour.
Take a look at the list of Atlanta parkour gyms and jump into the world parkour!